Monday, June 21, 2010

FaThEr'S dAy

Another Father's Day has come and gone. However, this year's father's day has been very memorable for me.

I have always been a Daddy's girl. I love and cherish my dad without even really knowing who he really is, other than my dad. I accept him for all that he is and all that he is not. I have felt his love for me throughout my life without him ever having to speak of those affirmations.

Growing up I have battled with knowing the real him and knowing "his" life story. I have come to the realization that I will never be able to break down a barrier he has created for many years to learn such information. Especially since he has been recently diagnosed with Dementia.  The day will come (hopefully, not too soon) that he may forget his beloved children, etc. This year has been a roller coaster ride for him; as he was in a REALLY bad car accident a few months ago where he had broke all his ribs and was lucky to have survived the accident. His health has been of get concern and he constantly gets diagnosed with something. Thus, I look forward to every chance I get to see my dad or speak to him on the phone. I know the day will come which he will not be there for me to talk to and I fear that day will come too soon.

This past Saturday, I was able to arrange to have dinner with my dad which is a rare occurrence. To add to the rare event, my siblings were able to join me along with my hubby and my brother's daughter, son, and girlfriend. To get all of us in the same place and to have us all get along is extra special (since one of us is always bound to make another pissed off, usually). I am sure my dad was happy to have us in his home enjoying each other's company.

My stepmother made a huge dinner and I do mean HUGE. I was stuffed. Afterwards we all sat around with our full bellies and socialized. For my father's day gift, I gave my dad a "little one" photo album that contained a few pictures of my baby bump, ultrasound pic, etc. so that he can be apart of my pregnancy and my daughter's new world. I even bought my fatal heart monitor and let everyone hear my little baby girl's heart beat. The look on my father's face when he heard my daughter's heartbeat for the first time was priceless. He said, "Whoa, that is really loud" with a big smile on his face. I really can't wait for everyone to meet my daughter, especially my father :)

No comments:

Post a Comment