Tuesday, August 24, 2010

CaReEr EnVy

As September approaches, I can't help myself but feel a little career envy.

I've been in school for a long time and all I ever wanted was to use my education (that my mother was able to bless me with the opportunity of achieving) and feel a sense of purpose. Part of that goal was to land a career/job as a school psychologist once I graduated. Since graduating, I have been working for a district as a school psychologist but on a contracted/case by case basis. As such, I don't have a steady schedule nor an office to work in but I have the flexibility of working when I want, which can be dangerous, lol. Regardless, I'm thankful that I have been able to keep my skills in my field fresh and that I had some kind of employment and still do even though I'm taking some time off to be a MOM.

Last spring, I was offered a full-time position in a district that was an hour and half away. I turned it down because I didn't want to commute that far as a new parent. This year, districts around my home town are hiring and although I keep interviewing while pregnant I am aware that I will not be offered these positions and I know in my heart I don't want them right now either, as I would like to focus all my energy on my daughter's development.

However, I can't help feeling like I'm missing out on a career. I know I'm young and I will have my whole life to work but seeing my fellow graduates obtain jobs and going on interviews makes me a little jealous. I want to be able to tell people I'm a Full-Time school psychologist for "..." district and feel a sense of normal (cause people who work full-time are normal, right?) but this year, I get to say I'm a Stay-At-Home Mom and remain a contracted School Psychologist for "..." district. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I can be both and I'm excited to be a MOM which is a career in itself but I long for the opportunity to be a contributer (financially) in my growing family and a advocate in education.

At the end of the day, I know my day will come to work in my field and I may want to quit on my first day, so for now I will try to enjoy the time off.

For you moms out there, did you have some form of career envy when you were pregnant?

3 comments:

  1. I just decided for sure to quit my job as a teacher to be a SAHM. I just had a really hard time, now that my daughter is here, stomaching the idea of having someone else take care of her. Of leaving her there all day, confused as to where her mom or dad or anyone familiar is. It makes me cry! So, I know that quitting is a sacrifice I'm willing to make... however, I will admit (no offense to any SAHM reading this), it's almost going to be embarrassing to say, when people ask what I do for a living, that I don't have a job. It's worth it to take care of my daughter myself, but I don't want anyone to look down on me because I'm technically unemployed. So I totally get what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one and feel that Most (not all) women feel this way. I think about this all the time and it's exactly why I started my blog. I work when I want and love it. It was so hard for me to say I'm a SAHM and we are way under appreciated. @Paula no offense taken. What people don't realize is that it's a choice. Not something I we have to do. When we are finished having kids, I will go back to work.

    I look at my mother in law who stayed home for 12 years and now is back in the work force and very successful at what she does now. Although it's the HARDEST JOB ON THE PLANET to stay at home, I know when I do go back to work eventually, I'll be happy I stayed at home when I could.

    Can't wait to see pics of the new addition! Congratulations in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks ladies for understanding and the support :)

    ReplyDelete